Friday, December 3, 2010

This time last year

           This time last year Ky and I went on a tramp in the mountains near our home in Wanaka.

           
1st few hours in

1st night in, contemplating a swim in the ice feed stream

A few minutes after this shot the hut warden who was a spritely woman in her 60's took her daily plunge in the river and I thought to myself how refreshing it looked particularly after such a long day of tramping, so in I went. I was literally breathless for many a second as it was freezing but well worth it. That's a moment I shall not forget!


Kyland's turn 

2nd day in and I was needing a piggy-back. Do you think I got one?!

Plateau where we spent our first night in the distance

Reaching the 2nd hut above the bushline

This was an exhilarating sight when we arrived at the hut. It was a short descent down a cliff face.

Outside our bunkroom

Din-dins

Highlights of the trip,

Sitting out on the balcony with Ky and trampers from all around the world watching the full moon at night.  The snow on the mountains gives the universe such a glow!
Mesmerising!

Coming across hunters with their kill on their backs and watching them dissect the beast to make it easier to walk out with the next day.
Fascinating!

Swims in the river and under the waterfalls.
Breathtaking!

Trying to sway the swing bridges as much as we could.
Fun, most of the time until you lose your balance and then it's not so funny!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds exhillirating. I am sure you will be wishing for some of that ice water before the summer is out. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pic of you & Ky is just gorgeous Hon!

    I really need to get all lots of NZ goss from you when I see you next. . .I really need to go there, perhaps even move there - right NOW! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails