Thursday, September 15, 2011

annabel langbein


Today I received a phone call from NZ reminding me of Annabel's wonderful seasonal recipes. I used to work for her on her organic farm in Dublin Bay, Lake Wanaka. Working on her property was so rewarding, really hard work but very satisfying. I can't remember where I have written about this before but I used to have this beautiful black bird that would join me when I was working in the terraced gardens. He would hop around beside me all day long, just keeping a foot's length away from me....I was always scared I would step on him. Some weeks were busy at the cottage with Annabel's entourage as she was filming her TV series there and beautifully decadent smells would waft from within the cottage out into the garden. When she wasn't at the cottage (as she is based in Auckland) I would often be all by myself on her secluded 23 acre property so my little black bird was very good company. I think he felt the same way too. As I would be digging away worms and bugs would be uncovered and quickly snatched up by him.


Annabel is featured on The Cover of Woman's Weekly this month. It's the NZ edition so it might be hard to come by here but look out for it as her recipes are worth having in your collection of favourites.


Her little cottage is raw and organic in style. Lots of linen on her beds, beautiful rugs laid out on the timber floors and vintage china through her plywood kitchen. Very simplistic. She would always leave coffee beans for me and a special tin high up on the shelf with her gorgeous fruit cake inside...perfect for a refuelling after long days in the garden.



Check out her website at www.annabel-langbein.com/

I've really needed inspiration as far as stocking the pantry and fridge. Aaron has been cooking lots lately as I just can't get my head around meals at the moment so this little reminder has been so refreshing for me and I'm heading off to Hahndorf tomorrow after finishing a few drawings to stock up on organic fruit, vegies, cheeses, breads and yogurts. Hope you feel the same as I do after reading some of her recipes. Have a great Friday!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh - when can I leave for there? The sweet, black bird, those delightful looking scones - count me in! Book the tickets now Pete! Her house and property sound absolutely DIVINE!! It reminds me very much of the house and place I have in my heart to live in one day, in a more perfect world... Enjoy Hahndorf Darl - isn't the weather GLORIOUS??!! Makes me want to break out in song! In fact, later on I might just stand outside and let rip! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow! I hope you got some of that book read! Lots' o love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO IT Nessy! You would lurve NZ! I'm loving the warmth, isn't it glorious and so looking forward to tomorrow with my gal friends! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Darl - was FAB to see you today - and thanks so very much for the impromptu photo shoot! If you want to take a peek pls do at:-

    http://www.burdastyle.com./projects/house-frau-skirt

    I'm afraid it doesn't do justice to your fab photographic skills - I had real problems with the BurdaStyle site tonight...ie orientation and looking like an "Oompa Loompa".... xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails